Every dentist should master, standard methods of cleaning, disinfecting, and sterilizing oral handpieces.
The Dental Health News is a resource for information on dental health and hygiene. From tips on how to brush and floss properly, to the latest news on dental products and services, the Dental Health Blog is your one-stop shop for all things dental.
Today, I will summarize the standard cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization of oral dental handpieces for doctors and friends. I hope it can help everyone.
1. After each treatment, the doctor should step on the foot brake in time to flush the lumen for the 30s.
2. The user removes the contaminated dental handpiece in time, wipes the visible dirt on the surface of the dental handpiece with a wet cotton ball in time, and puts it into the contaminated equipment recycling container in the clinic for temporary storage.
3. The cleaning staff will count and collect the used dental handpieces, and send the contaminated equipment recycling container to the cleaning room.
1. Cleaning without an automatic dental handpiece cleaning machine
Rinse: Rinse the phone under running water to initially remove surface contaminants.
Washing: After rinsing, soak it in an enzyme cleaner for 2 to 5 minutes, then brush and scrub. After some dental handpieces are rinsed, they can be placed in an ultrasonic cleaner and added with enzymes to clean for 3 to 5 minutes.
Rinse: After washing, rinse or brush under running water. The lumen is flushed with a high-pressure water gun or a syringe.
Final Rinse: After rinsing, rinse with soft, purified, or distilled water. After cleaning the lumen with a high-pressure water gun or a syringe, the dental handpiece is placed in a mesh basket to prepare for drying.
2. Cleaning with an automatic dental handpiece cleaning machine
Check the working performance of the automatic cleaning machine and whether the enzyme cleaning agent, neutralizer, and brightener are sufficient. Insert the dental handpiece heads into the special jack of the dental handpiece cleaning machine one by one smoothly for full and effective cleaning.
Take out the dental handpieces one by one from the mesh basket or washing machine, use a high-pressure air gun or a syringe to dry the water on the surface of the pipeline and the bearing of the wind wheel, or inject 75% ethanol to dry.
Disinfect the inner and outer surfaces of the phone with 75% ethanol.
5. Internal maintenance
Use automatic oil filling equipment to inject special dental handpiece cleaning lubricating oil into the dental handpiece. If manual oil filling is used, spray-type cleaning lubricating oil should be used.
After oiling, the surface of the instrument should be dried in time, and the lumen should be dried by mechanical drying and pressure air gun, and should not be dried naturally.
Use visual inspection or magnifying glass with the light source to check the cleanliness and performance of dried dental handpieces and instruments, especially the dental implant handpiece.
It is advisable to use paper-plastic single packaging and seal it with a medical heat sealer.
1. Pre-vacuum pressure steam sterilizer is preferred for sterilization.
It cannot be stacked during loading. The packaged dental handpieces should be placed in the tray in turn. A certain gap should be reserved between each dental handpiece, and the paper should be facing up, which is conducive to the penetration and drying of steam.
Strictly control the sterilization temperature, pressure, and time. The temperature>135℃ or the sterilization time exceeding the specified time can damage the sealing rubber ring of the dental handpiece and the beaded sleeve of the bearing.
2. If the fast cassette pressure steam sterilizer is used for sterilization, it can be sterilized without packaging.
3. Other low-temperature sterilizers such as ethylene oxide and hydrogen peroxide plasma can also be used for sterilization.
1. If there is a package, the name of the item, the sterilizer number, the sterilization batch, the sterilization date, the expiration date, and the operator’s signature or code should be indicated on the outside of the package, and placed in the sterile item storage cabinet.
2. Bare sterilized products should be stored in a sterilization box or a sterile container for later use. Once opened for use, the validity period does not exceed 4 hours.
The packaging should be in good condition when dispatched. If it is found that the oil bag or the package is damaged, it shall be regarded as contaminated and shall not be released, and it needs to be cleaned and sterilized again.
12. Matters needing attention
1. Do not immerse the dental handpiece in the disinfectant to avoid corrosion of the internal parts of the dental handpiece.
2. The paper surface of the paper-plastic composite packaging should avoid being wetted by lubricating oil, so as not to affect the penetration of steam during the sterilization process.
Biography: Mr tony xu works in Dental Laboratorio, he sometimes makes prostheses of zirconium and lithium disilicate personally with 14 shapes of diamond disc dental cutter in the laboratory, but when it comes to handpieces, he takes great enthusiasm with the cutting-edge technology of new-height handpieces, such as the 45° LED contra-angle handpiece, and handpiece parts and products.